On the successful completion of the refurbishment at Millfield Theatre, Ingleton Wood were asked to look at the restoration of Millfield House. The Georgian property, which currently serves as Millfield Arts Centre, required not only significant improvements in terms of accessibility but also attention to the interior which had, over the course of time, lost a number of its authentic Georgian characteristics.
Built in the 18th Century as a small house the property was then subsequently turned into a suburban villa for entertaining guests. The central block predates 1778. This was extended by two flanking pavilions and an L-shaped service wing to the south and east around 1974. It was converted to an arts centre in 1971 when the neighbouring theatre was built.
Working closely with English Heritage guidelines a number of schemes were developed for the various requirements of the space. These included dance and art studios, rehearsal rooms, conference rooms and a catering/staff kitchen. During the refurbishment a number of original items were restored including a 1930s tiled fire place previously covered by a fitted kitchen. The replacement catering facility was space planned around this feature to ensure its inclusion in the scheme.
|020 7680 4400